Alleys provide several benefits for residents who live along the alleys:
- Vehicle parking at the rear of the home
- Alley garbage collection
- Alley delivery of home appliances and construction material
- Alley access for first responders (EMS & fire trucks).
All alley residents share the responsibility of maintaining their alley.
A city ordinance prohibits any alley obstructions. You and service vehicles may unload in your alley, but please tell service men they need to move their vehicle if requested by a resident.
Alley residents are responsible for mowing alley grass and trimming alley vegetation. Some alleys in the Garden District are well manicured while others have overgrown vegetation. A well-kept alley is a safer alley because it offers no protection for a prowler.
Garbage trucks (Tuesdays and Fridays) empty garbage cans in your alley or at your front curb.
ANY TRASH NOT IN A GARBAGE CAN MUST BE PLACED AT YOUR FRONT CURB FOR TUESDAY PICKUP BY THE TRASH TRUCK. Trash includes: tires, building material, tree limbs and vegetation, but not contractor debris. Residents/contractors are responsible for contractor debris. Place trash at your front curb away from vehicles, trees and power lines so the boom truck can pick it up.
No garbage or trash is picked up on 22nd street.
Consider the following:
- Post your house number in your alley in case you ever need a first responder to come to your back door.
- Add a motion detector or light on your alley.