Blog

Latest News and Updates

garden-district-21_mini.jpg

Garden District Civic Association Board Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 6:30 PM, Location: Michael Meyers, 2335 Olive St.

Present: Michael Myers, Ted Magee, Kathryn Mount, Mike Schexnayder, John Williams, Mary and Willie Fontenot. 

Updates

  • Beautification + Operations – $1,200 has been spent on landscaping in the past twelve months. Babeth will talk with Jess Cole to see if she is still interested in doing it. Re: Water line at Terrace and S. Eugene: Mike will contact Carolyn Coleman to see if she can get a response from DPW’s arborist. Mary will try to contact James Avault, a DPW arborist, to see if he can help.
  • Financials: (Ted) The Champagne Stroll always pays for itself and costs the Association nothing. Security is the biggest expense ($9,540 in 2023). Security patrol was increased in November and December. The Crawfish Boil is the second biggest expense ($6,000). It drives up membership and enhances security as neighbors meet each other and have an opportunity to talk. We are in good financial shape.
  • Note from our Security Liaison: The majority of the vehicle thefts were accomplished by the use of vehicle keys retrieved from the burglarized vehicles.
  • Noise complaints: Justin will speak to Councilperson Coleman about several noise complaints regarding excessively loud music late into the night from Firehaus, the newer, rooftop bar on Government St. 
  • Signs: Hance has acquired real estate sign frames to use. John’s team is designing signs to be used throughout the year, designed as needed.

Discussion:

  • Membership
    • Welcome Packets: Anita has the packets. 
      • From December: 2320 Oleander- Mary will deliver
      • Summer backlog: 2137 Wisteria – Mike will deliver; 
      • 1818 Cherokee & 1959 Oleander – Babeth will deliver
      • 2247 Oleander: Ted will find out if they have received one.
  • Events
    • Annual Meeting
      • The Board set the date for after Mardi Gras, on February 25th. Details will be discussed at the February Board meeting.
      • Location: Leola’s Café – Kathryn will speak to them. (Cater at 3 pm.)
  • Future events: The Champagne Stroll is very popular. Another neighborhood asked if we would mind having them copy us. John suggested we think of another type of activity for the 2025 year that could be planned in the summer of 2024 and promoted at the Champagne tour in 2024.
  • Storage Unit – Ted motioned and John seconded to cancel the contract for the storage unit. They felt that the Board could share the burden of storing items and save the association the money. (Justin voted by proxy.)
  • Bylaws – Edits were discussed and made. The Board unanimously voted (Justin and Heather voted by proxy) to accept the revised version.
  • Reschedule February Board meeting to Feb. 6
  • Newsletter – John
    • Holiday Decoration Contest: Share winners and thanks to all who decorated
    • Annual meeting announcement – Include call for board members
    • Security update: crimes of opportunity; be vigilant
    • Upcoming neighborhood area events (Heather)
    • Other items?

UPCOMING EVENTS

  • Next Board meeting – Tuesday, February 6th
  • Annual Meeting – Feb. 25th
  • Easter Egg Hunt – Easter is March 31. The Hunt is March 24th. Kathryn will look for a venue.
  • Crawfish Boil Date? For consideration: Sunday, April 21, April  28, May 5. Ted will contact Jason Pitre.
  • Garage Sale: John will contact Mid City and find out what date they are planning it for Mid City.

ACTION ITEMS:

John: Newsletter, Talk to Mid City about the Mid City Garage Sale

Mike: Will contact Carolyn Coleman to see if she can get a response from DPW’s arborist. Deliver Welcoming packet to 2137 Wisteria

Mary: Will try to contact James Avault, a DPW arborist, to see if he can help. Deliver Welcome packet to 2320 Oleander

Babeth: Deliver Welcoming packets to 1818 Cherokee & 1959 Oleander

Ted: 2247 Oleander; find out if they have received a Welcoming packet, Speak to Jason Pitre about the Crawfish BoilWork on closing storage facilities

Justin: Will speak to Councilperson Coleman about several noise complaints regarding excessively loud music late into the night from Firehaus

Kathryn: Will speak to Leola’s about the Annual meetingWill look for venue for Easter Egg Hunt

Download PDF

jcwproductionsGarden District Civic Association Board Meeting Minutes
Share this post